I was expecting it to be a funny movie, but it was really more serious. At the end of the movie...
(last chance to bail on this post before I spoil the movie)
...Steve Carell and Keira Knightley lie in bed together listening to explosions as the asteroid hurls towards earth. The room gets brighter and brighter, until a white light fills the screen.
I turned to Thomas, and made a sarcastic comment about them finding love before the world ended. To which he replied, "I didn't think they really died." Thus demonstrating his optimism and my pessimism-mixed-with-cynicism.
It occurred to me that this movie could be the perfect first date movie. Based on the answers to a few movie-specific questions at the end of the date, you would be able to know for sure if there should ever be a second date. Because I love you, I have developed the test for you, and am going to share it here for free (although I'm sure that as a good blogger I should probably develop it into an ebook and charge you $17.99 for this brilliance).
Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World First Date Test
1. Do you steal your neighbor's mail?
1b. If so, do you read it, or just throw it away?
2. Would you leave your ex-boyfriend at the mercy of an angry mob if there was a possibility of getting a plane ride home?
2b. Does the fact he tried to use you as a human shield a few minutes earlier factor into your decision?
3. What do you do if your friend's spouse hits on you days before the world is going to be destroyed?
4. Do you stop the car when a cop tries to pull you over for a speeding ticket days before the world is going to be destroyed?
5. When you break into your high school sweetheart's parent's house, do you do the dishes after making yourself an elaborate dinner?
6. Would you send the possible love of your life home to her parents, or would you keep her with you?
7. Are the explosions small pieces of the asteroid hitting, or the sound of neighbors shooting themselves?
8. Did they actually die at the end of the movie?
You are now prepared to see if you should have a second date by watching Seeking a Friend for the End of the World and taking this quiz.
You also now know what it is like to watch a movie with me late at night after I've been taking cold medicine for three days.
In related news, we need tissues and tea (*sniffle - cough - sneeze*), and I should probably go back to bed.
What is your perfect date movie?